I am traveling with a church group in July to Sri Lanka to help at an orphanage and to evangelize. how much danger is there?
we will be in south west part of sri lanka
Since the end of the civil war with the Tamil Tigers, Sri Lanka has become much, much quieter in terms of terror attacks and outright war. Things are certainly returning to normal (for that part of the world).
I reckon the orphans would be pretty easy to overpower if they started a rebellion - okay, I'm kidding there. Good on you for going to help out, places like that really need all the help they can get. WorldNomads, as you know, has it's own (non religious) charitable foundation - Footprints (http://footprints.worldnomads.com )
I figure your greatest safety concern is whether your evangelical work will put you in danger of retribution - south west Sri Lanka is predominantly Buddhist (70% - 90% depending on province). The other religions are Islam (10% - 3%), Hindu (8% - 2%) and Christian (4% - 0.7%).
Christian Today India in March 2011 quoted John Pontifex, spokesman for Aid to the Church in Need on anti-Christian violence worldwide: "Extremists increasingly link local Christians in their countries to the West," he explained. "As they are in most cases unable to attack Western countries direct, many extremists turn their fire on local Christians."
However - the only report of violence against Christians in S.W Sri Lanka that I can find, dates back to 2008. Doesn't seem to be a common problem.
Just remember, Kottawa, Sri Lanka is a LONG way from Greenfield, Indiana.
Also, check with your church about travel insurance.... certain types of volunteer work and missionary work are not covered by all policies, and you might have to take out specialist coverage. Read your policy carefully. almost 9 years ago
Why do you want to evangelize? What would your feelings would be if a group of Hindu's of Buddhist's came to your home town to evangelize their faiths? Would you be against it? (not against you doing it.. just curious) almost 9 years agoAnswered by John via Travellr.com
There is no danger at all for you in Sri Lanka. It is safer place than most countries in the world today Evangelism refers to the practice of relaying information about a particular set of beliefs to others who do not hold those beliefs. The term is often used in reference to Christianity.Why not just help out at the orphanage without any strings attached. this is the true spirit of giving . almost 9 years agoAnswered by Malin via WorldNomads.com
No strings attached help is always appreciated ,you don't propagate religion by giving food and clothes . over 7 years agoAnswered by jay via WorldNomads.com